Get Involved / AUDITION
Casting for The Threepenny Opera
ActorsNET announces open auditions for non-Equity actors to appear in THE THREEPENNY OPERA
by Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill, Marc Blitzstein adaptation.
Directed by Cheryl Doyle.
Saturday, April 1 from 11 am to 2 pm
Monday, April 3 from 7:30 to 10 pm
Auditions to be held at:
The Heritage Center Theatre,
635 N. Delmorr Ave.,
Morrisville, PA 19067.
July 14-30, Fridays and Saturdays at 8, Sundays at 2; plus added matinee on July 29.
Actors are not paid, but we are generous with coffee, tea, sodas, and cookies.
Read all about THE THREEPENNY OPERA here:
http://www.rnh.com/show/105/The-Threepenny-Opera#shows-castrequirements and here
We're looking for blazingly talented, creative, dedicated, hard-working actor/singers for roles of all sizes in this powerful theatre piece. Casting will be entirely color-blind, even within families. All roles are open except Polly Peachum. Participation by the ensemble (mostly named roles) will be much more than would appear from character descriptions. We're looking to gather an ensemble who love their craft and aspire to artistry.
For the audition, please prepare a song that demonstrates your musical and dramatic range. Bring sheet music, a CD, or mp3 on a flash drive (we don't have an i-Pod dock). If you have a prepared monologue, you can do that too; you may also be asked to read from the script. Warning: the script is hard-hitting (not for children), the music is raw and gorgeous and seductive, and the acting style is often confrontational.
No appointments are necessary. Bring a resume if you have one, and a photo of any size or quality to help us remember you. For more information or to discuss alternate audition times, please email director Cheryl Doyle at email@example.com - and for info about ActorsNET, go to www.actorsnetbucks.org or www.facebook.com/theactorsnet
- Macheath, a gangster, probably not more than 40. Powerful, sexy, violent, angry
- Mr. Peachum, chief of the beggars guild -- bass-baritone. Old enough to have a 20-year-old daughter. Bitter, entrepreneurial, domineering.
- Mrs. Peachum, his wife -- contralto. Also old enough to have a daughter. Formidable.
- Jenny - mid-range, a prostitute - Macheath's ex, worldly, attractive.
- Tiger Brown, High Sheriff of London -- low-ish baritone. About Macheath's age; corrupt, loyal to Macheath.
- Lucy Brown, daughter of Tiger Brown - soprano, formerly virginal.
- Streetsinger -- medium voice; male or female. Characterization open.
- Gang members: Crook-fingered Jake, Ready-money Matt, Sawtooth Bob, Wally the Weeper.
- Prostitutes: Betty, Doxy, Suky, Tawdry, Vixen.
- Filch, would-be begger; Reverend Kimball, drunken clergyman; Constable Smith; male and female beggars.
Some of the supporting roles also double as beggars and townspeople.
The role of Polly Peachum has already been cast.